Wednesday, February 12, 2014

Prepping for Disney


I'm sure many of you can sympathize with me when I say that I am DONE with this weather.  Luckily for me, I'm a stay at home mom with relatives in Orlando.  You know what that means?...Disney, baby! I don't know what I'm more excited about, me and the girls at Disney World meeting all the characters I can find or the temperatures...Who am I kidding?  It's the temperatures...hands down.

I am pretty excited about Disney, though, and since it's still LOAD 214, I needed to pull together some things to make sure I stay on track (though I suspect that I'll be off-prompt for a week).  Since, my scrappy friends often ask me how I scrap on the road, I thought I'd show you what I'm taking with me.


First, I made an autograph book for Lilah to get all her character's signature's in.  It's 5x7 and made with the backing of a 12x12 in paper pad as the foundation of the cover.  I scored it so that the front and back were 5x7 with a 1 in spine.  I covered the chipboard with paper from the Dear Lizzy "Lucky Charm" collection and used black cardstock to make the Mickey head for the cover.  I cut 4 colors of cardstock for the pages and bound it with my Bind-it-All.

When I heard that Becky Higgins was starting to make 6x8 binders for the Project Life system, I knew I was going to need them in my life.  This is my first one, and I think it's just perfect for a Disney Minnie (please pardon the pun). It contains everything I need.  Let's take a peek inside.


I bought two packs of page protectors, the ones with 2 3x4's and a 4x6 and the ones with 4 3x4's. I considered later that I might like the full 6x8's as well, but this will do for now.  I pulled a set of cards from my Project Life Honey core kit.  That's the only core kit that I have.  I've worked with it a ton and I still have a massive amount of it left.  I don't know how often that I will buy a core kit in the future, I find the volume of stuff in them a bit overwhelming, but I do love the colors and patterns in this kit, so I think it was a good investment (especially since I got it at Michael's one of the times all the Project Life stuff went on sale for 60% off).

I knew I was going to need some larger pockets, so I made two 6x8 envelopes using my envelope punch board that I reinforced with more chipboard from packaging that I had in my stash. I reinforced the flat side of the envelope as well as the flap so that I could use photo tabs and brads to hold the flap down and keep my supplies secure. That polka dot patterned paper on my envelope is from the scrap I had left over from making the inside of the cover of the autograph book.


I tried to anticipate all the supplies that I would need to be able to call my project finished while I was on the road...or at least with minimal work when I got home.  This is what I came up with:



  • Jillybean Soup Alphabet Stickers (I packed 3 colors from one of their multi colored 12x12 sheets of alphas that I got in my January box from 3 Scrappy Boys)
  • Studio Calico vellum star stickers
  • Simple Stories journal cards from a cut apart sheet I received in the January Gossamer Blue kit I won from Lain Ehmann
  • A selection of die cuts from a Simple Stories Daily Grind die cut pack (also from Gossamer Blue)
  • Recollections puffy stickers and enamel dots
  • Die Cuts With a View quote stickers from a vacation quote pad
  • Brass paperclips
  • About 18in each of 4 different washi tapes wrapped around paperclips
  • Blue embroidery floss
  • a hand full of 3x4 and 4x6 cards from my Honey Core Kit
  • and a pair of school sissors
  • I'm going to have to add some type of adhesive and I'm torn between bringing my Elmer's Dot runner (which won't fit in the book) or buying a smash pen (that I would clip to the rings in the binder, I see mixed reviews of the glue stick on the smash pen, though)
All of this stuff fits very nicely in the two envelopes that I made, and I'm thinking that I'm going to make one more for the ephemera that I'll no doubt collect.

As far as pictures on the go, I'll be using my Polaroid Z2300 camera to print 2x3 photos to add to the book. I've said before that the camera is horrible, but it's a pretty good little printer.  The pictures are ok in bright sunlight though, so I might use it to take pictures for Lilah's autograph book at outdoor meet and greets.

So that's it, the whole plan.  I'm so excited, I can't wait to get in the car and go, although I do feel just a little bad for leaving my husband behind...I guess we'll just have to go back again!

No comments:

Post a Comment