Sunday, July 21, 2013

Quilt As You Go

I have a tendency to jump into learning new crafts with both feet.  I read enough instructions to get the idea of where I'm going, and then I just go.  Sometimes this is a great strategy, and others...not so much.  When I decided, while I was pregnant for the first time that I needed to make a baby blanket for my child, let's just say that it wasn't the most patient time of my life.  I'm not going to say that the project was a complete disaster.  It's a functional blanket.  It actually feels pretty nice, and if you just sort of glance at the top side, it even looks kind of cute.  The back shows reality.  I was too impatient to hand quilt.  I couldn't figure out for myself how to get all the layers to stay flat and the stitching is so haphazard, it's laughable.  I didn't even finish quilting the whole thing.  I quilted enough to make it stable for the wash and called it a day.  I was so embarrassed that I wasn't even going to give it to her until she discovered it on a cold day and decided that she loved it.  Now it can be found at various times in nearly every room of the house just mocking me.
If I had only had any idea what I was doing when I started, I might have stumbled upon this quilt as you go business earlier.  It is a fabulous idea!  Maybe Michaela will get her on quilt after all!  I found this tutorial on YouTube, and I'm bursting to try it out.  Wish me luck!


No comments:

Post a Comment